We were running out the door this afternoon and I grabbed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich as a quick snack. I let Roo have her first taste of peanut butter and jelly, which she loved! MH and I jumped into the car with Roo in the back and took off. I noticed on the way to the store that she was rubbing her face a lot and that she was very flushed.
When we got to the store and I was getting her unbuckled to put her in the carrier, I noticed that she was broken out in hives and she was all puffy in her face. Immediately I knew that it was the peanuts. We called my brother, a doctor, who said to head to the nearest ER. MH raced as safely and quickly as he could to the children’s hospital close to our home.
There, they gave us Benadryl right away and monitored her breathing for a little more than an hour. The doctor came in and confirmed that Roo has a peanut allergy and that we should rid our home of all peanuts and other tree nuts. She also gave us a prescription for an epi pen to keep on hand. We have two now.
We were lucky she didn’t have a worse reaction but that could happen the next time she is exposed to the nut. So we will have to be extra cautious from now on.
What a scary afternoon but I’m relieved to know it is something we can handle. But, it’s just one more thing to think about and worry. We go to the pediatrician as a follow up this week and will probably have to see a pediatric allergist.
Are any of your little ones allergic to peanuts and nuts?