I thought once your baby starts to sleep more or less through the night that new parent exhaustion would go away. It hasn’t for me. I’m exhausted. I feel even more so than when she was first born but I could only be hallucinating!
I think there are few contributing factors to my exhaustion:
1. I don’t have help anymore during the day – my parents were invaluable those first few months
2. I go to bed later now. Even though she goes to bed between 7-8pm every night, I stay awake until 10:30 or 11 getting stuff done or just putzing around
3. I’m still dealing with some depression, which doesn’t help my energy level. I’m still trying talk therapy before trying meds
4. Another blogger wrote about exhaustion and associated hers to breast feeding. She believes the higher fat content in breast milk is making her more tired. I don’t exactly understand how but I feel like this could be true. I imagine the higher fat content means my body is working really hard to make the milk, making me tired. My current weight is less than it has been in years and so I know my body is definitely working hard!
5. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I more often than not have insomnia and I can’t fall back asleep for at least another hour or so. Does that happen to you?
I was hoping that once my hike turned one that I wouldn’t be so tired anymore and I feel even more exhausted. Mommies, what is your experience? How do you combat exhaustion?