One of my readers asked about my decision to put Sophie the Giraffe, a VERY popular infant toy, on our baby registry. Apparently there is controversy around Sophie, of which I was unaware. I did some research and have come to a conclusion.
The controversy, if you aren’t aware, is that Sophie’s very long, thin giraffe legs have caused some babies to choke. As a teething toy, the giraffe is made of 100% natural rubber, paint-free, toxic-free materials. It is designed to stimulate all five senses in a baby. Great, right?!
Except that the legs are so long and thin that a baby, who doesn’t know any better, puts any part into its mouth to chew and those long legs can fit down into the windpipe and block it. One reviewer wrote that her baby had choked to the point he had turned blue before she noticed. Other reviewers expressed similar experiences and concerns. Clearly, a hazard.
My conclusion is this: I put it on my registry before I did my research and someone has already purchase it so there is nothing I can do about it now but if I choose to not exchange it, I will monitor Roo very closely when she is playing with it.
Oddly, I did tons of research and review reading on everything I put on my registry EXCEPT for Sophie. I think I did without the research because she is so highly popular and because all of my friends kids’ had one. This clearly is the case of me being a sheep that jumps off the cliff just because all the other sheep did too. My bad.
Thank you, dear reader, for pointing out this very concerning controversy! I will consider very thoughtfully if I should exchange it for a different, safer teether or if I will just monitor Roo very closely. I think I’ll consider returning Sophie for something less dangerous.